As a smallish country school, Harcourt Valley has retained its rural, family atmosphere, nurturing a sense of wellbeing and belonging amongst its students and school community.
The school has around 97 students at present in five classrooms. We have a well equipped computerised library and each classroom has a bank of new computers which are all connected to the internet and school network.
The school has a long tradition of composite or multi age classes. We favour these because in such groups:
- Older children gain a great sense of responsibility and care for younger children
- Younger children benefit fro the tutoring of older children
- All children have the opportunity to work to their potential
- Children enjoy a more natural age spread of fellow students
We further expand the family atmosphere through our buddy system ( older and younger students paired for regular activities) and we regularly take part in local and regional combined school activities ( sporting, debating, artistic and cultural).
Features of our curriculum include:
- A range of specialist teachers which includes Visual Art, Performing Arts, Instrumental Music, Information Technology, Library and Physical Education.
- Outdoor Education Program including bike and scooter education, swimming, participation in inter-school sports days once a term, excursions and camps at all grade levels
- Arts Council Performances are a regular feature of the School's performing arts program including an annual visit by OzOpera.
- Other specialist programs include You Can Do It, KidsMatter, Peer Support & Buddies, Choir and Junior Land-care
- Opportunities to develop and use Information and Communication Technology skills at all grade levels with all students in Grades 3-6 participating in our Netbook program.